By analyzing eCommerce statistics, you can gain insights into the market, quickly increase your sales, and retain potential customers. When developing an online business, you might face difficulties unless you learn how to engage your clients, increase your profits and improve your Google search rankings.
30 Useful eCommerce Statistics
These eCommerce stats are based on research in an interesting time in Ecommerce. We have had a global market downturn, COVID-19 and a recovering offline retail the future is always hard to accurately predict but nothing as good as looking at the markets before.
1. 82% of people will read your emails. It’s important to remember that most of your emails will be read by your potential buyers. This is why engaging your clients and driving them to purchase is crucial. For instance, you can tell them about a new collection or an upcoming sale. You can develop your business using effective email marketing techniques.
2. 81% of potential clients won’t accept your call if you call them from a company’s phone. Usually, it happens when people see a phone number like 0800 400 333. Marketing professionals recommend using personal phones when calling potential customers for the first time. Once they accept your call, you can use your communicative skills to tell them more about your products.
3. 75% of mobile phone owners consider SMS newsletters useful. Keep in mind that people aren’t against receiving text messages from you. But, you must start creating your SMS list on the first day of developing your business. You can automate this process with a good SMS marketing tool. Check out this full TextMagic review to see if it’s the text marketing software for you. Using effective newsletter techniques every month, you can increase your sales by 20%.
4. 64% of people prefer reading and don’t like being distracted by phone calls. In most cases, phone calls might put off potential buyers since it might be impossible for people to accept them at work, on vacation or at home. Keep in mind that people like to read messages when they have some free time.
5. 73% of brands plan to increase their spending on SMS newsletters after reading the recent eCommerce statistics and discovering that marketing techniques can boost their profits. According to eMarketer, in 2016-2020, the volume of SMS messages increased by 197%. Read more of our SMS statistics here.
6. 69% of clients want to have an opportunity to contact a brand after reading a newsletter. This is why you need to indicate your phone number and add a link to your website.
7. 70% of clients would prefer to get technical support via text messages. You can add a special online chat module to your website and hire a support specialist. Besides, you can use a chatbot. However, it’s less effective.
8. In 20% of cases, people click on links in chats, which allows you to drive more traffic to your website. However, keep in mind that links become less effective if you send them by email.
9. 93-95% of millennials and people from Gen Z use smartphones and place orders on the go. If you sell products for people of all ages, you need to optimize your site for mobile devices. Besides, using a responsive design, you need to add an online shopping cart.
10. Discount coupons sent in text messages are used 32% more often than discounts that people receive during phone calls. According to the survey, people don’t believe managers who tell them that they can get a discount. Besides, they prefer not to be distracted by calls.
11. 75% of people like getting text messages with reminders about the beginning of the sales. This method is used by all leading online marketplaces, such as Steam, Aliexpress, and many others. These companies offer Black Friday deals, organize New Year sales, and offer many other discounts.
12. 18% of your clients would like to be able to turn off notifications. By adding this option, you can show them that you can be trusted.
13. More than 30% of online buyers are from China. According to eMarketer, in 2021, there were 792.5 million online buyers from China while the total eCommerce sales volume almost reached $2.8 trillion. In 2022, the number of buyers from China is expected to reach 850 million. You can keep in mind online business statistics when expanding your business. Make sure to pay attention to possible shipping issues as well.
14. According to Google, the most popular eCommerce websites have an average session duration of more than 6 minutes. During this time, visitors view more than 6 pages. You can use SEO plugins to achieve similar results. By engaging your audience and keeping its attention, you can promote your online store more effectively.
15. Despite the online sales increase, 59% of people aged 18 to 25 prefer buying clothes and shoes in retail stores (in Europe and the USA). This is why it’s better to offer a free fitting service to your clients. When a client gets their order, they will be able to try on the clothes to check whether they fit well. Cropp provides a similar service.
16. Baymard Institute has been analyzing the market for 14 years. Its specialists concluded that 69.8% of people who add a product to a shopping cart don’t commit a purchase. The number of incomplete purchases has remained quite high throughout the years. However, it decreased to 54% during the lockdown.
17. 58.6% of people who add a product to their shopping cart just want to compare its price with the prices in other eCommerce stores and online platforms. In this case, you can send them a reminder and offer them a discount for the product that they have added to the shopping cart.
18. 39% of shoppers think that quick and free delivery will drive them to purchase a product in an online store. It might be better to indicate the exact time when a product will be shipped.
19. During the holiday season, the number of purchases rises by 45.2%. According to e-commerce numbers, on the days between Thanksgiving and Cyber Monday, sales drastically increase since people hurry to purchase products at discount prices. 56% of people shop online on Cyber Monday, 57% make purchases on Black Friday, whereas 54% of customers like shopping on Thanksgiving weekend. Besides, 31% of people buy some products on the day before Thanksgiving, and 24% of shoppers make purchases on Thanksgiving Day
20. According to the research conducted by Walker Sands, over 13% of customers are ready to pay more for a branded item if it was promoted by a celebrity or influencer with a large following. This is why such companies as Adidas, Nike, Puma, iPhone, Samsung, Mercedes, and BMW spend billions of dollars on establishing partnerships with famous brands. You can often see that their products are promoted by soccer teams wearing uniforms with their logos.
21. Campaign Monitor found out that it’s important to send newsletters on specific days. It ensures that your emails won’t get unnoticed. In 2020-2021, it was better to send newsletters on Fridays since 18.9% of emails sent on this day were opened. Besides, on Friday the click-through rate was 2.4%.
22. More than 62% of online retail sales in the world take place on trusted platforms. According to Digital Commerce 360, in 2018-2021, most sales happened on the best eCommerce platforms, such as Amazon, eBay, and Alibaba. They are so successful since they optimized the sales process. However, it’s important to remember that each of these online platforms has its own requirements for product images. If you don’t have time to study them, you can order professional product photo editing services and get your edited photos back within a set deadline.
23. By some estimations, in 2022, 74.4% of all retail sales will take place online. New eCommerce markets are appearing in countries oriented on mobile devices, which might become the main reason for this increase.
24. After analyzing 10,000+ sites, it was concluded that each of them might increase their conversion ratio by 35% on average. To do it, website owners need to make slight adjustments in the design, perform keyword optimization, and add convenient modules.
25. 75% of people prefer talking to a real person instead of a chatbot after contacting technical support. Despite the recent AI technology advancements, chatbots might give a wrong reply if someone asks them a non-standard question. Clients don’t want to wait for hours to get a reply. Make sure that a potential buyer doesn’t need to wait for longer than 60 seconds.
26. According to Yotpo’s research, 68% of users believe that real reviews are extremely important. If you want to quickly get great reviews, you can create special offers for your clients. For instance, anyone who leaves a review may get 1% of the total order price on their bonus card.
27. According to validated data released by Digital Commerce 360, because of COVID-19, the profits on the eCommerce market reached over $250 billion in 2020-2021. It was caused by a significant increase in online sales during these 2 years.
28. In the last two years, 25% of regular retail stores opened eCommerce stores. According to research, their profits increased by 24%.
29. In 2020-2021, traveling expenses in the USA decreased by 40-45%. It happened because of the restrictions imposed during the lockdown. While most people prefer booking tickets online, eMarketer estimates that the number of online sales in the tourism industry will decrease by $100 billion.
30. According to Statista’s estimations, in 2023, online sales will reach 22% of all retail sales worldwide. In 2018, the number of online sales was 14.1%.
How to Start an eCommerce Business?
If you already have your business but want to learn how to expand your online presence, you need to find out how to build, launch and maintain your own website using eCommerce stats 2022 and handy tips listed below. Whether you are an entrepreneur or designer, you will benefit from making your products and services available online.
There are some important differences between launching eCommerce and regular businesses. However, there are some similarities as well. You will need to analyze the market and your competitors, find suppliers, and reach out to your clients. Below, I have analyzed the main things that you need to consider when launching your online store.
1. Research the Market and Find Your Niche
The success of your business directly depends on how well you analyze the market in your region, city, or country. Go to Google Trends, indicate your location and keywords to see how popular they are. For instance, if there aren’t many shopping malls in your city, you can check whether warm blankets, pillows, candles and other products that allow creating a cozy atmosphere are in high demand.
You can create your own products or order them from distributors. If you provide some services, you might need to list and describe them on your company’s website. In some cases, you will need to find reliable suppliers before taking the next step.
2. Select a Name and Logo of Your Company
The name of a company and its logo should be unique. Besides, it should indicate which area you specialize in. For instance, if you sell products for home, you can call your company homecomfort or warmhome. It’s better to order professional logo design services to ensure that you will get a logo that can be printed on your business cards. You can send them to your clients with their orders. Make sure to hire a lawyer as well to avoid breaking any copyright.
3. Apply For EIN and Get a Business License
The next step involves applying for an EIN for your online business. While not all companies are required to have it, you might need to get this employer identification number to manage your accounts easier.
You can apply for it from the IRS and get it without paying a dime. It will be sent to you by fax or mail. You can also get it online or by phone. The easiest way to get it is to apply for it online. You will receive it in a few clicks.
4. Select an eCommerce Platform and Create a Website
After completing the paperwork necessary for registering and launching your eCommerce business, you need to select a platform for your future site. You can build it from scratch by yourself using WordPress if you have the necessary skills. When selecting the best eCommerce platform for your needs, pay attention to these services that provide users with ready-made design solutions:
Shopify is the market leader that provides all-in-one solutions and thousands of templates for online stores that sell a variety of products, from clothes to home appliances. Just like other similar platforms, it allows you to customize all the elements of your design. You can pay for one of four subscription plans, starting from Shopify Lite which costs $9 per month. However, this plan doesn’t include an online store.
Squarespace is a widely used website builder that enables you to use the available templates or create a site from scratch. To use it, you need to know a thing or two about optimization and design, so it’s hardly suitable for beginners.
Magento allows customizing all the details of an online store, from fonts on buttons to the background color and scrolling speed.
5. Promote Your eCommerce Business
After launching your online store, you need to analyze eCommerce statistics and use the right marketing techniques to reach out to your target audience. You can either contact a professional service that specializes in digital marketing, or, if it’s too expensive, enroll in free classes to master keyword optimization techniques, learn how to create engaging content, optimize plugins, and many more.
Did you know? There are 7 ways to spell eCommerce.